1854 - Raeburn Place opens for play
Raeburn Place was acquired by former pupils of the Edinburgh Academy in 1853 for use as a cricket and general sports ground, making it the oldest bespoke sports ground in Scotland. The ground, which was initially leased for £53.17s.4d, opened for play in May 1854 and has been in almost continuous use since, the exception being during the war years when the ground was used for food production.
The ground was bought by the Grange and Academical Trust in 1882. Ownership was transferred to the Edinburgh Academical Club in 1979. The ground is still owned by the Edinburgh Academical Club, and EAFC and the Edinburgh Academy continue to benefit from its use. However, the ground is also used by BATs, ACE, TRI and various local schools, providing a valuable community resource.